- Assists in the development and implementation of facility goals and priorities relating to financial management, budget, accounting, and/or payroll in compliance with Government of Jamaica Regulations and MBCC policies and procedures.
- Reviews and/or prepares event settlements.
- Reviews and executes all cheques and deposits, reviews daily cash receipts and disbursements.
- Ensures that there is a system for the maintenance of proper records of the entity financial affairs, the preparation of monthly accounts, financial reports, and annual appropriation accounts in accordance with the requirement of the MoFPS and in keeping with the FAA Act.
Analyzes areas of financial risk in the entity’s operations.
- Prepares statements and reports of estimated future costs and revenues.
- Directs internal audits involving review of accounting and administrative controls.
- Coordinates preparation of client or external audit materials and financial reporting; implements recommendations of clients as requested.
- Directs the installation and maintenance of any new accounting, timekeeping, payroll, inventory, property and other related procedures and controls.
- Reviews financial statements with management personnel
- Represents MBCC at meetings, as directed.
- Provides guidance through effective planning, delegation, communication, training, mentoring and coaching.
- Coordinates the development of individual work plans and recommends performance targets for the staff assigned.
- Participates in the recruitment and training of staff of the Division.
- Monitors the performance of staff and facilitates the timely and accurate completion of the staff annual performance appraisals and other periodic reviews.
Performs other duties as assigned by the Managing Director.
- Master’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or equivalent
- Five (5) years of accounting experience with three (3) at a Senior Management level;
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or equivalent and Seven (7) years of accounting experience with four (4) at a Senior Management level.
Any combination of qualification and experience
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Extensive knowledge of general and cost accounting.
- Sound knowledge of the FAA act.
- Excellent math skills; high aptitude for figures.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and organizational ability.
- Ability to work with and maintain highly confidential information required.
- Effective supervisory skills.
- Sound knowledge of the relevant Circulars from the Ministry of Finance and Planning.
- Sound knowledge of Government Administration, Budgeting & Financial Accounting and Procurement Policies and Guidelines.
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and meet strict guidelines.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision.
- Ability to work flexible hours in addition to normal business hours.
- Ability to prioritize amongst conflicting demands, solve business problems and make rational decisions based upon a sound understanding of the facts in limited time.
- Well-developed analytical capabilities: and particularly, the ability to critically analyze industry reports and other outputs from investigations, audits, position papers and proposals.
- The ability to work effectively in stressful and time sensitive scenarios is a critical competence.
- Teamwork & Cooperation.
- Interpersonal Skills.
- Change Management.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Long hours of work and work on week-ends, as necessary
- Some travel required.
- Prepares and recommends budgets for the Finance unit and MBCC.
- To recommend strategic direction of the Unit and MBCC.
- Implements new measures and procedures to enhance the MBCC strategic and technical capabilities.
- Recommends staff appointments, promotion, recruitment, disciplinary action, leave and general welfare issues;
- Recommends relevant training and development programmes for direct reports to enhance knowledge and performance.