Human Resources Manager
Under the direction of the Director, Human Resource Management and Development, The Senior Human Resource Officer processes Human Resource transactional services and supports human resource activities and policies. The main focus of this position is to manage employee benefits, leave administration, direct the management of the Performance Management Appraisal System (PMAS) and employee records via the relevant Human Resource Systems.
- Department’s operational plan and budget prepared.
- Staff databases maintained and Employee Census prepared.
- Employee benefits processed.
- Leave management.
- Records updated.
- PMAS monitored and managed.
- Period of Service Records updated.
- Letters/Submissions/Reports prepared
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
A. Management/Administration Responsibilities
- Participates in the development and implementation of the annual operational plan and budget for the Department.
- Assists with the development and implementation of human resource policies and procedures.
- Develops, administers, and coordinates social/ employee welfare programmes and activities and maintain a calendar of activities.
- Participates in the execution of the Ministry’s Wellness Programme, as required, to promote and encourage health lifestyles.
- Provides professional advice and guidance to employees of the Department, on human resource management policies, procedures and regulations.
- Seeks advice from the Ministry of Finance and Public Service on conditions of service on matters not covered by Regulations.
- Assists in the preparation and submission of reports, position papers, and other documents as required.
- Prepares Job and Status Letters, recommendations and other types of written documentation as requested.
- Acts as resource persons on selected panels service-wide.
- Attends meetings and represents the Department/MBCC at conferences, seminars and other fora as required.
- Assists in conducting relevant research on related HR matters as directed by your superior(s)
B. Technical/Professional Responsibilities
- Compiles and maintains statistical reports concerning employee-related data such as recruitment and selection, persons acting in positions, resignations, leave, transfers, retirement, performance appraisals and absenteeism rates for periodic presentation.
- Ensures that all Period of Service records are created and updated.
- Ensures retirement benefits particulars such as (leave computation and all Pension Particulars), are submitted to the relevant authorities within the specified time.
- Advises the Payroll department regarding employment, appointments, promotions, assignments, transfers and separations related to portfolio assignment.
- Assists in ensuring that loans, bonds bills etc. are settled prior to employees’ separation.
- Verifies the eligibility of employees for incentives (qualification and annual increments, lump sums, seniority allowances etc.) and awards and submits to the payroll department for action.
- Verifies completeness and accuracy of applications relating to employees benefits such as (Government Loans and Grants, Sagicor Jamaica Ltd. Health Insurance and Government Employees Transportation Services (GETS) and submits to the relevant entities for processing.
- Computes leave for employees of the MBCC and the preparation and presentation of the various corresponding reports, e.g., approvals, computations.
- Monitors the maintenance of the Attendance Register. Ensures that all absences are recorded.
- Assists in maintaining the Motor Vehicle Register database to track submission of motor vehicle documents for the payment of travelling allowance.
- Assists with the recruitment and selection process, to include sitting on interviewing panels and administering assessment exercises.
- Participates in the delivery of orientation sessions to new recruits, giving an appreciation of PMAS and ensuring that staff are aware of the policies, practices and regulations of the MBCC and the Government service.
- Initiates the production of Work Plans, Interim and Annual Review processes for the Performance Management & Appraisal System for new and existing employees through proactive discussion with HODs, to ensure consistency and appropriateness of indicators.
- Creates and maintains an accurate PMAS database outlining various components including submissions to-date and due date of payments.
- Facilitates the delivery of HR interventions in keeping with recommendations under the PMAS;
- Processes letters of resignation ensuring that all relevant authorities/agencies are advised in a timely manner.
- Performs any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- Operational policies, systems, plans and budget are prepared and submitted within the agreed time frame and support the strategic objectives of the Ministry.
- Employee census accurately prepared in the appropriate format and forwarded to the relevant authority in keeping with the timelines specified.
- Leave accurately computed and processed in accordance with established timeframe.
- Service Records properly updated on a regular basis.
- Employee benefits programme administered in accordance with Government of Jamaica laws, regulations and Staff Orders.
- Policies and procedures are effectively communicated to staff.
- Reports are accurately prepared in the appropriate format and in keeping with established guidelines and timeframe.
- Confidentiality and integrity are exercised.
- High ethical standards are maintained in the conduct of professional and personal business.
- Sound and prudent advice/recommendations given well researched and in keeping with existing policies and regulations.
- Harmonious relations are maintained with staff members and external contacts.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BSc. Degree in Human Resource Management, Business Administration, Management Studies or any equivalent combination of education and training.
- Three (3) years’ experience in Human Resource Management, preferably within the public sector.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH THE JOB
- Incumbent may be required to work long hours to facilitate the completion of tasks.
- Informs and recommends benefits to employees of the MBCC.
- Recommends welfare and social programmes.
Montego Bay Convention Centre Jamaica
April 15, 2023